Property Solicitor Quotes Forums Conveyancing Forum How much are the typical conveyancing fees for a house purchase

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Simon 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Barbara
    Participant

Myself and my partner have just got a quote from our local solicitor for the conveyance work and want to know what the typical conveyancing fees are for a house purchase. Our locally based conveyancer quoted £650 for the legal fees, £20 for Land Register, £245 for the searches, £35 bank transfer, 280 Land Registry, £190 VAT and for stamp duty £2,00. We have used this site to get quotes from other property solicitors in the UK and are finding that on average they are £200 cheaper.

We are not in a chain and the purchase price is £250,000. We would prefer to use our local solicitor as they have come highly recommended but we do not want to pay over the odds for his service. Is our conveyancer charging more than the typical conveyancing fees or are they in line with most companies?

Derek
    Participant

The conveyancing world can take a toll on anyone especially as a newbie. From one site where they said the SDLT will not vary, the ₤3900 translates to ₤1400 in fees. Some of the fees I derived from here were lower than that. Just be patient when looking.

Derek
    Participant

If the firm you settle for delivers to your satisfaction, but you only require a certain part and not all, get in touch and inquire whether they can vary the contract so that you make payments for a complete transaction only.

Simon
    Participant

As usual, just go through the small print with a fine tooth-comb in pursuit of extras. If you can get a locally based solicitor the better, they have extensive knowledge of the area and at times the property you want to buy/sell, and they will give you insights you need to know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.